Old storage containers still have a lot of life left in them, so instead of sending them to dump to be thrown away, consider turning them into something new. There are a number of benefits to using a storage container, and while there are some obvious uses (like for storage) there are also some creative ideas to give a container new life.
Top 8 Creative Ways to Use a Storage Container
1. Living Space
Called “cargotecture,” some people are using single or multiple containers to build strong, low-cost, eco-friendly homes. These containers can also be used as office space. Stackable, they can create multiple work or living areas and the layout can be changed whenever you want. They can also be customized to include electric and plumbing and other luxuries of a traditional home or office.
Due to the size and designs of storage containers, they can provide multiple homes or office spaces in a smaller area, and multiple can be used to build large, spacious homes or even entire communities.
2. Working Space
Use a storage container as a workshop for carpentry, pottery, painting, writing, or other studio-like place for hobbies, art and craftwork. Your container can even double as a gallery that can be visited by the public with your work on display.
Or, use the container as a shed to store tools, equipment, or other materials without worrying about rot, mold, or pests.
3. Pop-Up Retailer
Storage containers are versatile and easy to convert, which makes them a great option for a pop-up retailer. They can be both standalone or included in a larger “Boxpark” shopping center, and quickly and easily moved in and out of an area as needed. Multiple containers put together can create a unique shopping experience in areas without sufficient space for permanent structures.
Additionally, because storage containers are secure and you can add additional security features, you can confidently store your products in the container when you’re not open for sale.
4. Restaurant and Café
A lower investment, you can use a storage container as a food van-style restaurant for a unique dining experience. Add kitchen appliances, electric, plumbing and other features you’d need to cook, store, and serve food. Restaurant containers are perfect for areas with little square footage or for entrepreneurs who want to serve a memorable meal.
Storage containers can be quickly modified for education, and multiple containers can be used within one primary area to provide separate classrooms. This is a durable, inexpensive option for parts of the world where the infrastructure for education doesn’t exist to provide the framework for a school or classroom. Or, they can be used for displaced students due to construction or other reasons.
6. Emergency Shelters or Hospitals
Instead of transporting people over a long distance, a storage container can be taken to a disaster area and modified to fit the community’s needs. They can be used as accommodations for those who lose their home or have to evacuate until they find somewhere else to stay, or as a portable clinic when certain medical needs may be immediate.
In many cases, storage containers are preferred over other mobile structures due to their reliability and durability.
Turn the storage container into a gardening shed that can house vegetables, herbs, or plants that aren’t hardy enough to survive outdoors. Install lights and water systems to assist with growth, and because they can be stacked, you can grow more food crops in a limited area.
8. Swimming Pool
The length of a storage container is perfect for swimming laps. Because they are durable and can be easily waterproofed, some people choose to turn them into an above-ground pool. You can even construct a deck around it to avoid having to sink it into the ground.
Storage Container Benefits
There are a variety of benefits to using a storage container for storage, one of the above innovative uses, or something else. Containers are:
- Containers can be easily from one location to another as your needs change.
- Customizations can be basic, such as adding shelves, or more complex, including adding electric and plumbing.
- Storage containers are made of carbon or galvanized steel, making them sturdy enough to stand against the elements.
- Not only are storage containers sealed tightly, making them secure against insects and other pests, but you can also have peace of mind that your belongings will be secure against theft. Add additional security elements, such as cameras and lights, for extra protection.
- Cost-efficient. Renting or buying a storage container is often much more cost-efficient than renting or buying an office building, apartment, or other space for your needs. They also don’t require significant maintenance costs.
- Easy to maintain. It’s important to keep your container clean and the roof free of debris and water, and to quickly treat any rust, peeling paint, cracks, or other signs of deterioration. Otherwise, your container won’t require significant time or money for ongoing maintenance.
Buy or Rent a Storage Container Today
Storage On-Site, LLC is an Indianapolis-based provider of portable storage containers and trailers for Indiana and the surrounding region. Whether you’re interested in renting, leasing, or buying a storage container, work with one of our qualified customer service representatives to find a unit to meet your needs.